COVID-19 Fall Upended: Why Your Child Should Go to College This Fall
My last post presented a pretty good rationale for not starting freshman year this fall. This post argues against that.
Here’s why freshmen should say YES and rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors should go back to school this fall.
- Colleges need students. Without them, the whole enterprise falls apart. In fact, colleges need them so badly this year that there are lots of discounts and other perks on offer. Take advantage of them to make a degree more affordable and finish the degree with less debt.
- The unemployment market is such that spending a year working is looking less and less plausible. Job seekers with vast experience are going to be selected before 17 or 18 year-olds to fill jobs as they open up. So, unless you are okay with your kid lying around in their room playing video games all year, you may want to send them off to school.
- It will be a fall they will never forget as they work with their peers, faculty, and staff to stay healthy and well. What an adventure! They will be dining out on this experience the rest of their lives. It is certainly going to be exciting!
- We kind of have to get back to our lives. This virus is going to be around for a while. Are we all going to hide in our homes until we are sure it’s safe? I hardly think that is feasible. Colleges are going to do everything in their power to ensure the health and well-being of their students. You and the college will help them learn how to take precautions that will serve them well the rest of their lies.
- This is going to be the new normal. We might as well get used to it. We should embrace it and get on with living our lives.